View Single Post
Old 7 Jul 2015, 07:55 (Ref:3556398)   #46
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I actually said "and that's without the FHR " because it's not part of my point.

That's an FIA specification overall. An FIA specification helmet. A pair of indeterminate quality gloves on my hands. A pair of plastic training shoes (anyone spot the inconsistencies there?). A "racing licence". To drive my MG around an airfield at lower speeds than on the motorway to get there, with fewer things to hit and no other traffic. I'm talking about speed events if I wasn't clear.

Woolley I *can't* wear an FHR in the MG because I don't wear a full harness which was why I excluded the cost from my calculations. FHR isn't mandatory in road going classes.

My point remains - very soon you will have fewer serious injuries thanks to the safety equipment. Not because it has made any difference in many accidents but because it has priced many newcomers out of the market.

"But you sell 'safety' equipment, " you all cry, "surely you must be pressing for the highest safety known to man?"

Well no, I'm pressing for the most appropriate PPE. I would agree that in racing cars and sports racing cars the risk is much higher both of fire and of impact. And in truth the cost of the PPE is a small percentage of your outlay both in terms of purchase and running costs. But in the entry - level road going classes? When you don't even need a roll cage and harness? Why is e.g. Proban safe enough to use in a rorty super-modified hot rod round an oval but not my ageing MGZS across an airfield on my own? Clearly it's not insurance led - if it is the MSA is failing in its due diligence and needs to change suppliers.

If we lose sense of proportion we will lose new blood and then we will lose the sport. I feel passionately for the sport and I feel even more passionately for my livelihood. MSA administered sport numbers are falling at all levels. I see more people doing track days and non-MSA karting where "safety" requirements are lower. It's having an impact on my business because there are fewer racers, and it will soon hit the MSA. What will help is a sliding scale on PPE related to the risk factor.

By the way, after the accident I witnessed at the weekend there is a case to be made for marshals to wear safety helmets. How would you guys feel about that?

Last edited by midgetman; 7 Jul 2015 at 08:07.