View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2015, 12:06 (Ref:3558454)   #77
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
I use the word "shall" often on drawings and in specs because its definition is to be "expressing a strong assertion or intention". A lot like the word "will", so not sure I agree with your comment.
Had they used the word "should" then all of a sudden things are open to interpretation. So I think "shall" makes it quite clear what is expected.

But yeah, why the focus on this in particular? Any reason?
Not sure why the focus, Terry S seemed to see it as important. I guess that the difference between "shall" and "will" has become blurred in these modern times, but the words had a clear difference in meaning back in the day and that difference in meaning is still used in motor race regs.

In that context, "will" means being compelled whereas "shall" is more of a recommendation or guideline.