Thread: Winter Projects
View Single Post
Old 14 Jan 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3604768)   #1914
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, it is the one on the left that is basically ****ed!

Long story, but here goes. Try and keep awake.... The left cover was fitted to this engine from new, but at one point I swapped to a roller bearing thrust instead of the normal carbon. When fitting it I thought that it would need a different length pushrod to work correctly (don't ask me why, brain fade probably) so made a longer one. When I raced the car (once) in that configuration the clutch would only just clear but was useable, although reverse was pretty crap. The engine then came out again so Spa engine could go back in, with own clutch assy but carbon thrust again. Worked perfectly.

Fitting No2 engine back in now, I included a new centre plate along with the pictured cover, the idea being to bed the latter in for Spa. Being new, it was 0.6mm thicker than the old one, and when I tried car it would not release with normal pushrod. I tried the longer one from before, and although at full travel it would almost clear, car was not driveable.

So I'm guessing that the longer pushrod, when fitted originally, pushed the diaphragm so far that it went over centre. With the worn centre plate fitted it would still just release, but with a new thicker one, would not. The cover is now junked, another used one fitted instead. Works perfectly!