Thread: ELMS ELMS 2016
View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2016, 18:13 (Ref:3627209)   #168
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Thanks for that.

Curiosity taking over..:
As someone who's calibrated towards a Ferrari and now has tackled the Porsche, can you describe for us what's the essence of the Porsche? What are you missing from your Ferrari? Will you be hustling the Proton car on a track you know before Silverstone?
Hmm.. good question! In general the Ferrari has a little better mid corner balance (mostly due to the inherit advantages of the mid-engine layout). The racing line in a few corners is slightly different because of that -- the Porsche is more "throw it in, get rotated/pointed however possible, and get back to power as soon as possible". The Ferrari is more like a traditional roll speed in, keep your min/apex speed up and roll back to power.

I believe the Ferrari also has a slight advantage under threshold braking and in corners where you have to brake and turn.

Overall the lap times should be pretty similar, but they go about it in a slightly different way. Both are very fast!

No testing scheduled in the Proton RSR before the season begins at Silverstone -- however, I'm trying to get back to Europe to learn more of the tracks before the ELMS race weekends. Spa is the only track on the schedule I've been to previously.

Happy to answer any questions or provide any info throughout the season, just let me know!

ps: The GTE and LMP3 overlap in ELMS is going to be a nightmare.

-mike