View Single Post
Old 5 May 2016, 12:10 (Ref:3638770)   #69
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I mean I sort of feel sorry for Kyvat, he can be fast. But at the same time he hadn't really earned the call up to F1. He had a completely average season of GP3, but it just so happened that everyone else in GP3 that year also had average seasons so he won the title by default. And only after Facu Regalia butchered the last two races. When Regalia, Tio Ellinas, Conor Daly are the leading drivers, you know it wasn't a strong lineup that year for GP3.

Mitch Evans, Alex Lynn and Esteban Ocon certainly haven't been called up to F1 and they've had much competition in the years they won. Ocon might be yet though.
You realize almost exactly the same is true for Verstappen? Who of his opposition has been called up to F1? Ocon might be, someday.

IMO, quite similarly to Kvyat, Verstappen can be fast and spectacular. But he also loses it sometimes (Monaco 2015, Sepang 2016).
He lacks race experience, not speed.

I'm convinced he can do probably a better job than Kvyat, but he'll need to be careful and patient, for he is capable to do a Kvyat-style Sochi manouvre (the first hit) too.
And patience doesn't really seem to be one his virtues, nor one of Red Bulls.