View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2016, 18:05 (Ref:3668660)   #4
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
They predicted that such speeds could be likely at Le Mans, but most of the cars topped out at about 205-210mph. Audi's onboard telemetry from LM had them topping out at barely above 200mph. Also, all cars will be running max downforce, though the thinner air automatically means less downforce/drag so they can get away with street course level downforce settings. Also, less drag does mean less aero induced stopping power once they let off the throttle, so they'll have to start regen/braking earlier than normal, too.

Though in fairness, albeit probably a one off, an Audi did do over 200mph into the speed trap at Nurburgring with a high downforce set up.

Also, I don't think we'll see what the cars can really do unless everyone goes all out in Thursday practice (which includes an extra promoter's test session in the morning). Checking the weather, there's a 80-90% chance of rain Friday and Saturday. Of course, I'd like the rain and those temperatures where I'm at. Though at least I'll get those wishes to a degree tomorrow.