View Single Post
Old 28 Nov 2016, 15:45 (Ref:3691791)   #145
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
personally i couldn't give a stuff if a driver wants to play tactics, no matter how "unsportsmanlike" or whatever some people think it is. that's one driver, playing a game to try and get the most out of a race - motor racing.
But that ignores the fact, and it is a fact, that these events are sporting events, as such we expect the participants to behave as such. Can't stand Lewis as a personality mainly because, like his hero, he is petulant when being beaten. And to suggest that he is the "moral champion" is just plain childish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it starts to get dodgy for me with team orders, where a team expects a driver to do something (think the prema/stroll shenanigans this season). that's when it gets into the realms of someone not in a racing car deciding what happens in a motor race which is dubious territory.
Agree with this bit and perhaps if we weren't privy to the world of pit to car radio we'd be less concerned. But, lest we forget, as an employer, Mercedes is entitled to direct the employee.

As has been pointed out elsewhere both drivers have demonstrated a lack of sportsmanship this year, and last. Whilst I thought he was unsporting (but I am old fashioned) I saw nothing that Lewis did that broke any racing rules. And indeed it did spice up the final ten laps.

There have been times, like 2007, when I though Lewis was unlucky not to win the title, but he has had his share of luck, 2008 anybody? So it's swings and roundabouts. To suggest that Nico is less than a worthy champion is banal in the extreme.