View Single Post
Old 9 Dec 2016, 09:58 (Ref:3694951)   #228
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
I really do detest the while joker lap theory and for me it has already wrecked Rallycross, a sport I've loved since I can remember. Do people not realise that one if the main criteria to be a good touring car driver is the ability to overtake! It just dilutes what is potentially going to be a good race because a driver can just bide their time and wait for a joker lap. The best races usually in touring cars when a slower driver is in front with a train if quicker cars behind. Awful, awful idea! As has been said, countless national series seem to have plenty of overtaking choosing from a much more narrow pool of circuits. I guess they aren't run by the FIA though.
With the races being so short in rallycross and tracks not being as wide as in racing, the joker makes it more challenging for the drivers and more interesting watch. Doing an overtake is very hard otherwise and there tends almost always to be contact of some sort, many times resulting in pushing and bad driving. In the end a race can unfortunately be decided by the judges.

I don't see why it would be needed in WTCC though, both because of the reasons I have wrote and the reasons you have wrote. It could be interesting maybe, but overtaking is and should be a part of racing I think.