View Single Post
Old 11 Jun 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3740282)   #42
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I missed most of Indy this year, so I can't comment but compared to the last few races at TMS, last nights race was rather anomalous and it's been a while since I've seen a crashathon like that.

I think a major factor is the greater parity between Chevy and Honda. Last year Chevy dominated so much, Honda were allowed to make improvements to their aero-kits during the season, plus there will have been further development with the engine. The result is Honda have definitely caught up with Chevy and looking at their performance this year, I think have the better overall package. I therefore think that accounts a lot for the field being so bunched last night.

Also I don't think the mandatory tyre stops helped. All they succeeded in doing, was produce a series of 30 lap sprint races, which didn't let the field gradually spread out and where drivers were going hell for leather, in order to get the best track position before the next mandatory stop was called.
Very good points.

Over the last few years, races on longer speedways have resulted in bunched racing. Maybe not "packs" as bad as last night, and the stops didn't help, but that wasn't the main factor in keeping them packed up. I think you hit the nail on the head on how they stayed so close for so long, which makes it extremely difficult to avoid incidents.

Throw in tire issues like they've never raced at Texas before, complete lack of proper track cleaning like I've not seen in years and some very suspect race craft by some very experienced drivers, it was a complete $hit show. I've hated this type of motor racing in both stockcars and open wheels for years. It's a recipe for disaster and last night certainly was.