View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3757725)   #8166
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DPi is not "the answer." Haven't we been through enough cycles of this stuff to know there is no "answer"?

I think the point people are trying to make is that P1-H looks pretty silly in retrospect .... huge expenditures to be a little faster the LMP2.

DPi and LMP-1 seem both to be more affordable, are a little faster than P2, can been run by privateers or factories, and .... as if it mattered ... could provide great racing (recall the decade of awesome P1 battles we saw before the Hybrid era?)

Now that the FIA has made the cost for kissing its butt so high (or charged the factories so much to have FIA kiss their butts) that no manufacturer wants to be involved on that level ... People see two classes of cars, all basically based on modified P2 chassis (P1-L and DPi,) which creative rulesmakers could span with a single set of rules, which of course would have to be modified for each series ... but the base cars could work.

The benefit here is the same benefit P2 sees ... when a chassis maker can make and sell more chassis in more series, those chassis makers have more business .... don't go broke, can support those chassis throughout their lives, can issue upgrades (Oreca 05 to 07) and so forth which can help keep costs down ... which matters when running a business instead of an high-priced mutual butt-kissing extravaganza.

Imagine if a few Cadilarras were running in WEC ... a few P1 Orecas and Oak-Ligiers in IMSA .... Imagine Variety up front again!

IMSA, for all its faults, was smart enough to realize that fans wanted various cars in the top class ... if those cars are affordable (relatively) the odds of there being more cars is higher.

Will Some IMSA or WEC teams cross over ... you mean like Rebellion, or ESM? Mazda has long said its ultimate goal is Le Mans ... I bet the Captain would love a Le Mans win before he shuts up shop .... Chip Ganassi probably wouldn't turn down a chance for an overall at Le Mans ... but who cares?

The idea is for there to be enough P1/DPi/Top-tier protos, whatever letter-jumble you use, to keep grids full even if a couple teams go bankrupt here or there.

If the top class is affordable and the rules relatively stable, and fair enough that people can calculate a chance of actually winning .... people will sign up and we will have sleek, fast, race cars circling the track.

Or ... we can fight among ourselves while complaining about FIA and IMSA fighting.

The goal is to look at sports cars Worldwide. it is an International Business. Manufacturers (or more properly, Constructors, in Prototype classes) Benefit from having larger, more varied markets---and so do their customers (in this case both teams and fans.)

I guess this idea is so clear to me because I didn't take any business classes or something.