Thread: Race US Grand Prix
View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3775078)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Finally! As an American, I feel I am truly qualified as an expert on a topic!

To the flag part... "Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem. Sort of related to the flag, but in this context... nobody here would refer to the American flag as "Star-Spangled Banner". That would generate some odd looks. "Star and Stripes" would be the most common nickname. Some may use "Old Glory" as well, but technically that is in reference to a specific history example, and less commonly used as a general reference.

To the point in question which is the Red, White and Blue. In a typical Americentrism view, we only think of "Red, White and Blue" as "our" national colors and ignore the fact that other countries use the same colors as well. And this is clearly not a "American" issue. People of different nationalities see what they want or know. Such as what IMHO, is clearly "Red, White and Blue" American colors for the US GP as the Dutch flag! To be honest as I didn't know what the Dutch flag looked like, I initially didn't get the joke. If anything it seems that the color Orange is more iconic for me with respect to Max and the Dutch in general

Richard
Yeah, I rarely hear anything but red, white and blue or stars and stripes. And often the stars and stripes is in contrast to the southern stars and bars. Star spangled banner to refer to the flag?? Haven't ever heard that in 40 years. I'm guessing the guys who did that red white and blue bargeboard wouldn't have a clue about it being another flag. And I'm with you about racing and football colors being more of the colors I think with countries than flags. And then I just wonder about Italy with red cars and blue football, and that took me a while to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Haha. Yeah, but with our short attention span (the TV show about them has been off the air for about five years), we have already forgotten about Orange County Choppers!

Richard
Well and we all figured out quickly their bikes were terrible and often had to be purchased by the network as no one wanted an 80k bike after they saw the 'workmanship' that went into them.