View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2018, 09:24 (Ref:3794689)   #417
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I really don't understand how they will get TCR up and running from scratch in Australia. They will have to find a minimum of 15 cars from a competitor base that doesn't currently exist. It's the same challenge facing Super5000 in my opinion.

When V8Supercars brought in the CotF rules in 2013 that required brand new cars, there was already a competitor base. The new SuperUte series starts this year from a base of V8Ute competitors that already existed. When the ATCC switched to Group C in 1973, to Group A in 1985 and to V8s in 1993, there was already a competitor base existing or a pool of cars that were racing that could be up-specced to race under the new regulations. Similiarly when Class 2/Super Touring started here, plenty of old Group A cars were eligible and they bulked up the field while newer cars slowly entered the series over the next 2-3 years.

TCR has no base to build on, and neither really does Super5000 given the dire world of Australian open-wheel racing.
Given the enormous manufacturer backing in other series of TCR worldwide, with ready , existing (and market relevant) cars, relatively inexpensive to run, in the hands of a decent financially sound promoter prepared to invest in the future I can see a future for the category.

To give an idea of the manufacturer backing TCR enjoys, Audi, SEAT, Volkswagen, Ford, Alfa Romeo, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Lada, Opel (Holden), Peugeot, Renault, Skoda, and Subaru have all developed cars for the category.