View Single Post
Old 17 Mar 2021, 11:30 (Ref:4040981)   #62
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
There isn't a driver in motorsport history that, accounting for relative strengths/weaknesses, could beat him in a FW14B/15C.

FW14b/15C is the zenith of F, and he's a contributor to it. Unlike Schumacher, Vettel and Hamilton, who've cashed in with relatively less impressive cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Having said that, Prost is the best driver.
Reading your posts here - it comes across that you rate Mansell as being no higher than 5th best of all time (which is fine if that is where you rate him)?

You have said more than once that Prost is the best - so I take it you would place him #1 on any list?

You also refer to Vettel, Schumacher and Hamilton as cashing in with cars that were less impressive (and from that I take it as being less dominant compared to their competition). Which ultimately means that Mansell's greatness can be attributed to Patrick Head, Paddy Lowe, Adrian Newey and Damon Hill.

As Patrick Head himself describes the time:
'Nigel showed little interest in active ride in 1986 and ’87, when we ran the Honda engines with him and Nelson Piquet, and when he came back from Ferrari in ’91 he still wasn’t that interested until he heard about the lap times Damon Hill had been achieving in testing.'

Which - whilst does not detract from how good a driver/car pairing the FW14B/Mansell combination was - a lot of credit for Mansell's results in that one season must go to the designers and test driver.