View Single Post
Old 31 Jan 2022, 00:14 (Ref:4096748)   #3
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
It's only the last lap of any race that's actually important, so why not just have every race as a one-lap sprint.
Takes away all the 'nothing' that would normally precede the last lap, and then we can all get on with our day.
Agreed to a point, but you're also missing a couple.

"Sprint" races need to be more than one lap as there needs to be time for the field to shuffle itself to the actual finishing order.

"Endurance racing", which (Daytona 24, for instance) was originated to determine not only who was fastest, but, also, who could endure. I used to love true endurance racing, when it was indeed who could design the fastest car that could endure whatever time/distance was necessary (which was what any form of auto racing was about, for that matter).

Now, in any form of auto racing, there are so many gimmicks to keep the fields artificially close for two reasons, neither having to do with the roots of the "sport" (now just a show.....an infomercial, so to speak).
There are so many regulations for the vehicles that they smother potential innovation in hope that the vehicles will be as close in performance as possible.
Also the "sporting" regs. are merely orchestration for the same, "better" (closer, in reality) racing.

The above, all to attract the lesser attention spanned/uninitiated "fan" to the show; satisfying sanctioning bodies pocketbooks and the sponsors' desire/need for more eyeballs/ears on their rolling billboards for as long as possible.

The REAL sport of auto racing is gone I'm afraid.

jimclark