View Single Post
Old 6 Jul 2023, 13:42 (Ref:4166959)   #77
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
About the same as the lead placed into the roof of the Gen2 Mustang. You were not supportive of any changes being made mid-season back then, if I remember you didn't even want any testing done. You are more supportive this time?
Certainly. It was built to the rules, hit the required downforce & drag, and at that time homologation entities were allowed to come back and homologate a new package next season. This time Supercars have had undue control over the process which bizarre ideas like different engine capacities and obviously the control wing and splitter.

I still advocate for it to be competition (just set legality boxes and have at it, just like the body kit competition in the World Rally Championship) and am confident Ford Performance USA can and will do a better job than 888 acting for Chevrolet Racing, unless Chevrolet Racing get similarly interested enough to also devote US resources. Obviously Ford Performance didn't devote US resources this time as it seemed like it would be a waste of time and money if the optimal package they design in the US is just going to be cut up anyway like last time.

Anyhow, the new bootlid extensions can be seen here:

It wraps around the side of the car more. It's a little hard to compare length or angle of attack, but it looks like the new bootlid extensions might have a little more of both and should couple together nicely with the lower rear wing with the gurney flap (not pictured I believe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Time will tell I guess.

or more complaints
If the cars are demonstrably even there are unlikely to be complaints and if the Mustangs are mostly ahead there are unlikely to be complaints from Mustang teams, just like the recent lack of complaints from Camaro teams.

Or (probably the best thing) just forget technical parity and make it competition? It would save the mess. The WRC works just fine as an aerodynamic competition, despite having a control spaceframe just like the ATCC.

If I understand correctly, even though the WRC tube frame itself is spec (and some aspects of the hybrid system), the engines (with a fixed capacity, no variable capacity rules!) and aerodynamics remain points of competition: this works quite well.

You can see that each of the aerodynamic packages is different. E.g., the rear wings are all different designs. There is no balance-of-performance, there is no technical parity -- it is not necessary, it is a competition between M-Sport acting for Ford Performance, Hyundai N Division and Toyota Gazoo Racing. Just as the ATCC could be a competition between Ford Performance USA and 888 Race Engineering acting for Chevrolet Racing USA.

Why not say max 5000cc, max 9000rpm and here are the boxes where you can place your front splitter and rear wing: have at it, homologate the best bit of kit you can?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 6 Jul 2023 at 13:57.