View Single Post
Old 9 Apr 2024, 15:35 (Ref:4204364)   #463
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I've been on this site 20 years and I still can't multiple quote so please excuse my archaic way of rpying to many points:

>>>>>>>>>>Well most of us live with much better insulation and much more efficient heating.

You're picking up on the wrong thing. My major point is we don't get these cold temperatures any more. It's not a "few warm winters", I'm working outside all over the country all year round and I can guarantee that for the last few years it's been getting steadily warmer and stormier. It's nothing to do with house insulation or whatever, I have NO insulation in my awnings! Never mind fabcy graphs and clever articles, this is end user experience.
No I'm pointing out that the weather may have changed but we've mitigated a lot of the problems by building better accommodation otherwise it would be worse. Milder winters do happen.

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>The problem, should anyone care to look, is that renweables are not having any impact on the weather.

I didn't even hint they were. My argument for renewables is to reduce the reliance on some of the worst despots in the world, Why on earth do we have to go cap in hand to Putin, Trump, Raisi et al? Why don't we try to become self sufficient in energy? As for costing £X,000 "green tax" per household, that's called "investment" and there's been precious little of that by our generation as we hoover up resources that future generations will struggle without. My workshop costs my customers some money in addition to the bare costs of a spanner monkey, it's investing in my facilities so they can have their karts prepared to a high standard. It's the same principle.
But to build a wind farm takes a shedload of concrete, steel and oil, they then only last 25years and you can't just take them down and re build on top, you have to move elsewhere. Yopu alos have to build transformer stations, inverters and cabling. None of this is carbon free. But if like the UK you import all this stuff then the carbon emissions belong to another country and we can lie about ours. Worth checking but I think it was the ONS who recently identified the flaw in our emissions calculations by excluding mports.

Quote:
I'm not a green zealot - with my job how could I be? - but even so I've equipped my new workshop with LED lighting and economical heaters. Why? Because it saves me money. Same with switching to a more economical car. If we all did that we'd buy less from the despots of the world, reduce their power and influence. Rishi shouted: "inflation is going up, nuffink to do wiv me guv, it's Putin going to war wot dun it." Imagine if Putin going to war didn't push up our energy prices?

I just can't understand why people are so keen to love oil and not look for something else.
People are looking elsewhere, but trying to use the wind and sun to change the weather is not working, it is simply impoverishing the country. One of the posters here lives in Italy and thus does not have the issues that the UK will have if it follows this naive path.

I quoted a website that even admits that with the increase in renewable installations, carbon emissions are increasing. How is that? Or could it be that the production of these contraptions is creating more environmental impact?