Thread: HSCC Cadwell
View Single Post
Old 16 May 2024, 10:40 (Ref:4209151)   #10
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Perhaps , but it's easy to blame a sitting target .Without track day income race fees would be higher .

What I struggle to accept is that the UK is blessed with some great circuits and a hell of lot of racing cars and drivers . There are more than enough circuits , cars and drivers for most weekends in the season to have race meetings with full grids . But so many organising clubs don't work with each other , but in competition. This leads to impoverished grids, less appeal for driver or spectator and lower gate takings.Put the right stuff on - VSCC , big bike meetings - and the people will come. But I am wondering if I will make a weekend of it next year - it was a fabulous meeting with big , overflowing grids very recently .

I was at CSCC Oulton on scribbling duty recently and what really struck me is the big appetite for historic racing (in fact racing generally) in Cheshire , with better crowds than just about any other circuit except Brands possibly. I know Cadwell is miles from anywhere , which apparently puts some off , but that is part of its appeal!
You're right, CSCC is a case-study in how to do this successfully. Good mixed grids, a good social element and costs to a minimum. All wrapped up in the ethos that the entrant is the customer and to treat them accordingly. Alot of other series could take note of this rather obvious point - I race in HSCC and sometimes you get the impression that we are meant to say thank you for being afforded the experience despite having shelled out up to £800 (in the case of Brands GP).

For historic formula ford, they currently are struggling because of organisational issues - I believe that the club organisers have stepped down recently (others can correct me here). That has had a beneficial effect in classic formula ford where these cars are also eligible and where we got 29 on the grid at the last meeting. Alas, CFF aren't racing this weekend at Cadwell so this doesn't help the formula ford showing here.