Thread: Daytona
View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2003, 14:20 (Ref:479002)   #7
DrNascar
Rookie

DrNascar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish I could have seen Earnhardt Sr. win the 500 in '98, unfortunately my first visit to the 500 co-incided with his fatal accident...

I usually collect my tickets at the "Will Call" window on the morning of the Thursday before the "500" i.e. before the Gatorade Twin 125 qualifying races (The speedway don't post out tickets to the UK and I think that is safer to collect them yourself). I've never had to wait more than about 10 minutes at that time.

Beware of getting tickets in the "Superstretch" grandstand on the backstraight (these are available even on race day). I'm told that you can't see the cars through the tri-oval. I have a seat near turn 4 in the Oldfield Tower, the best seat in the house so far as I'm concerned but not the most expensive. My two day ticket for the Busch race on the Saturday and the 500 on the Sunday cost me ~£190 so it's not exactly cheap but worth every penny and more! Eat your heart out Silverstone! Tickets in the frontstretch grandstands are more difficult to get, as most people renew every year. If you want to sit there for 2004 I suggest that you telephone the speedway ticket office (00 1 904 253 7223) immediatey after the 1st April this year, this is the deadline for renewal. After this date the ticket office should know which seats are available for the next year's 500.

You might also consider the "Pepsi 400" in the summer, Daytona is even better under the lights and they now have a Busch series race the night before as well, so the trip is better value. Just be aware that Florida "bakes" in the summer although its just right in the evening for the race.

If you're a UK NASCAR fan you simply have to get to Daytona sometime, you won't regret it!

Last edited by DrNascar; 19 Jan 2003 at 14:22.