View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 2003, 20:56 (Ref:643085)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Rover V-8 and the Buick-Olds V-8 (same engine) are both aluminum...the Buick and Olds versions of that engine were supposedly the first production-built Aluminum V-8s in America...

Rover bought the licensing for that engine from GM in the mid-1960s when America went to "big Blocks" and more capacity in the muscle car era.

Rover used that 3.5 L engine in cars and in Land Rover vehicles until it was phased out of production in the mid-late 1990s...

Over the years Rover upgraded the engine in various ways....

REI Engineering in England still does the performance builds for customers in the UK...I got a ton of information from them a couple of years ago when I entered a design contest to re-create a "retro" model that had long since disapperaed from the auto world as a 2003 car...I revived the Triumph TR Series of roadsters...they would have been road rockets with the engines I planned for them...based on that Rover V-8..

P.S. -- I didn't mean to sound nasty in my reply to you...and I apologize if it read that way...I'm not an engineer, either...

BTW...for all I know about that Ford 4.6L, the valve configurations and many other things designed into that engine might make it impossible to either bore it out or extend the stroke longer than the 5.0 or 5.1L...I'm just not familiar with that engine at all...and supposedly this is the first year they will offer it in a Mustang...

One American Open Wheel Series!