Thread: My Tracks
View Single Post
Old 9 Aug 2003, 03:09 (Ref:683428)   #2554
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Before somebody says "It's a historic landmark, it can't change," the National Register of Historic Places is in place to protect sites of significance from being sold to developers and plowed over to make way for some townhouses and a shopping mall (like what happened to Riverside). This construction, though, is a restoration, which is perfectly legal, and I think can even be paid for by the government, which a certain Mr. Ecclestone always appreciates.

I have one more area to work out; Turns 10, 11, and the start-finish straight. Once again, the exterior barrier is pushed back inside Turn 10 to allow for a better view of the corner and to give a driver who loses his rear end at the exit a few more feet. The barrier is pushed back on the outside of Turn 11 for run-off in that turn. I think there is a berm there, too, so some more minor earthworks may be needed. There is also a new pit entrance before Turn 11.

Finally, there is the matter of the grandstand and garage facilities on the main straight. The old Formula 1 pits are still there, but they are used for nothing but a foundation for the box seats atop them. The grandstands are small and wooden. Obviously, if a world championship event ever returns to the Glen, some upgrades are in store. New pit garages and the mandatory suites are necessary, as well is a more advanced grandstand. Nothing too imposing, that would not blend in with the scenery or the general mood of the track, but something that isn't antique.
Attached Thumbnails
glen3.gif  

Last edited by Fish_Flake; 9 Aug 2003 at 03:11.