View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2003, 03:35 (Ref:683984)   #2562
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
U

Quote:
Originally posted by Fish_Flake
So, in other words, the special zoning given to it in the 1980s to keep the circuit from being sold, closed, and turned into a Wal-Mart means it can't make the necessary upgrades to modernize it and enable it to host any major event besides NASCAR? <snip> Will someone explain how that makes any sense?
It's New York State. Everything quickly becomes tangled up in red tape, even if you grease all the right palms. As I understand it, well-meaning enthusiasts crammed the protected status down the owner's throats, and even the monolithic International Speedway Corp (with the full weight of NASCAR behind it) has been unable to get that status lifted or modified. They've wanted to make changes for years similar to what you've suggested.

That's my understanding of the situation, though it's admittedly not conclusive.

Quote:
Who comes up with these rules?
The usual suspects in the FIA. Bernie, Max, and that faceless and brainless mob known as the World Motorsport Council, who I'm now 100% certain have _never_ seen an auto race in their entire lives.