Thread: jaguar
View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:43 (Ref:720418)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sorry you regard Wilson, Panis and da Matta (and Webebr?) as second-rate drivers, but I think you're alone in your view.

Jaguar's backing from Ford doesn't allow for top drivers to be signed anyway - they might even want a paydriver for the second car, which backs up my view that they only intend to run one competitive car and one to make up the numebrs. They have already ended the careers of Herbert and De La Rosa, and jeopardised that of Wilson - this is esopecualyl abd as 2 of those are British.

Besides, do you think the top drivers who currently have well-paid racve-winning seats will join teams which ahve enough trouble getting cars to the end of the race, let alone running 2 cars competitively?

To answert the overall question, Jaguar have showed a lot of promise this season. The car is not as good as Mark's results suggest, but he's done enough to really worry the top teams, especially in qwualifying. The reliability hasn't been imrpessive at times, especially on the second car, adn teh man-management of constant firing is completely wrong.

Above all, Ford need to really put some money in now, but, as they are struggling financially themselves, they may come to view F1 as an unneccessary expense which isn't worth its weight for marketing, epsecially as they're behind four other big companies at the moment.