View Single Post
Old 1 May 2004, 14:23 (Ref:957870)   #25
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I think that "world" thing about F1 "world championship" is irrelevant. Half of top chessplayers in the world are from Russia, and it doesn't make them less significant. Most of long distance runners are from Kenia and Ethiopia, and what? Motorsport is a traditional sport in some countries and not in others, just as every sport in Earth. As someone said formerly, if cycling were to abandon France, Italy and Spain for its grand tours it would be laughable.

I suppose sport have to bo played/runned in countries that support it. Why make a baseball world championship in Spain?
Another thing is trying to promote a sport in some countries, not robbing it from its traditional supporters. I think all this is a sort of "global domination" mentality of the "political-economical" of sports. Why everyone in the world have to watch a particular sport? Let people watch different sports if they want! Ah, obviously some people would get less money...

It reminds me about FIFA (International Soccer Federation) trying to "insert" european footbal into USA. They are proposing silly changes to the sport just to help introducing it in "dollarland" At the end, they risk to annoy loyal supporters and only gain a short term following in "new" countries. And, don'r forget F1 is way more fragil than soccer in Europe.

My fear (to say that way) is if F1 loses its roots in certain key countries, it will lose its long term base of support, with catastrophic results. Today we are in a multi-offert society, nothing is guaranteed for sure. Please, don't assume F1 *always* will have a strong support in Europe. There are so many alternatives in sports (even within motorsports).

Let's follow coutries trends and then assign GPs *after* it. Auto racing is not just a one-time circus per year (F1), it is much more that that. It is club racing, media attation, people paying to see local races... A perfect example of it is the level of support in Brasil and Argentina, not to mention Japan, USA, Australia. They are currently "natural" coutries to have a GP (well, Argentina is through a deep economic crisis...).

I neither have understood the one-race-per-country implicit rule. It is just political, and I don't want any mix between political and sport in general. why not a one-team-per-country or a limit of number of drivers per country? In my eyes it was always absurd. We are robbed of circuits in coutries that have many good circuits. FIM bikes GPs don't obey that "rule" and the championship is great.

In my personal and particular point of view, sowing sports by mean of conceding big events is superficial and illogical. Losing British GP would be ridiculous (I'm not british), and damaging in the long term. By the way, if they are going to let Italy with just one race, I wholeheartly vote to get rid of the emasculated Monza and would choose Imola or Mugello