Thread: Fuel pumps.
View Single Post
Old 4 May 2004, 16:22 (Ref:960536)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does the Pug use a return fuel injection system or is it a constant pressure system? A return system uses a high pressure pump to feed the motor and sends the unused fuel either back through the pump in circulation or sends it back to the fuel tank. A constant pressure system uses a fuel regulator to activate the fuel pump when the pressure gets to a certain level and maintains a certain amount of pressure to the injectors. You can get too much pressure against a fuel regulator and damage it.

If you have a return system then you need as much volume or pressure as the system can safely control because the fuel is being circulated if it is not used. A constant pressure system needs more control and a specific fuel pressure to keep it working at optimum. Look at your injection specifications and determine what flow or pressure you need. Fuel pump suppliers should be able to provide you with their fuel pressure output.

The Enderle mechanical injector we use on the race boat uses a return system. The Hilborn 80A pump supplies 7.5 gallons per minute of fuel to the control valve on the injector. The injector at wide open throttle uses about 5 gallons per minute. The extra amount of fuel is routed back through a recirculation line at the fuel pump and basically runs circles until it is used up.

In contrast my Ford Focus uses a constant pressure system where a fuel regulator controls the fuel pump to keep a constant fuel pressure, about 10 psi, to the injector assembly. There is no return line as the regulator controls the flow rate.

I would not think that you would need any extra fuel pressure to feed your engine because of the safety foam in the tank, but I could be wrong. Most have a built in safety factor to keep the engine from running too lean.
Never forget #99