View Single Post
Old 14 May 2004, 01:01 (Ref:970440)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funny that they didn't have a problem with the rules until they are beaten by it.

I'm not a fan of "penalising the top teams". I agree that in such a situation, it does hinder Mclaren's progress while at the same time allow BAR to get a better deal. That's why in a earlier posts i've asked if Mclaren, if they do regain their form, fight for 4th or they'd rather settle for 5th and get extra running of 3rd car next year... pointing out that if they do opt for the latter, and had a very good car next year, they had an unfair advantage while fighting Williams and Ferrari.

Running extra distances does help alot in finding the optimum set up, race strategy...though it doesn't help improve reliability or find speed from the engine/car (which is Mclaren's main concern).

HOWEVER, what i find irritating that DC making such an opinion is that Mclaren is the main team which think it is unfair that strong teams like Renault get an advantage by opting to test on fridays (they believe it explains Renault's strong form last year). Also, while the new regulations is to give smaller/slower teams get an advantage and hence, to closse the gap on larger teams and provide closer competition, Ron Dennis is the main guy who insisted that the smaller teams could not use experienced test drivers (that results in the stupid rule of barring Wilson) in their third car.

Mclaren and their drivers must realise they can't have it every other way.