View Single Post
Old 29 Jun 2017, 04:40 (Ref:3747728)   #20
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Ouch! But you have hit it on the head-it looks contrived. The fan group that got into racing a while ago, moved on to some other thing (what, I have no clue. I am an old dude), so artificial packaging is lost and not valued by the core groups that follow racing now.
Seems to be true of racing in general and other sports. I may be a millennial (who sports marketers are targeting), but I'm not in favor of almost any of the gimmicks that NASCAR and others have been trying to use to con people to become fans. I'd rather watch a 3 hour race rather than a 1 hour sprint. If I'm gonna waste my time watching a race, I better get my time's worth Granted, I know that the shorter races, especially for less mainstream series, helps with TV time, but in theory with streaming and what not, it shouldn't be a big issue.

F1 are looking at it, the ACO have gotten into the game (albeit with mixed results so far), and I think that NASCAR will have to consider it in the near future. Especially as more people across all age groups and generations (baby boomers, gen-x'ers and adult age millennials) are cutting back on cable and satellite TV in favor of internet steaming.