View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2017, 03:44 (Ref:3778117)   #40
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I hadn't been to MCM for a few years, and on first glance last weekend it did feel a little light on spectator wise compared to my previous visit, but on reflection it really wasn't a bad crowd. The grandstand seemed pretty populated and I'm guessing a lot of people sat there all day rather than brave the heat walking around

A good idea next year, if they are going to keep all the display cars in the pits, might be to move the merchandise & memorabilia section to the same area. That probably suffered a little being outside the track on it's own, same with the food vans. I remember the first Tasman Revival in 2006 had the merchandise & memorabilia section in the paddock area and it was a great hit....well I spent a lot of money in there anyway...

It seemed like more of a race meeting with less 'sideshows' this year other than static displays, which is good & bad depending on what way you look at it. If they can't get TCM back ever, hopefully they can get some 'guest' categories back like Central Muscle Cars from NZ or F5000 as in the past. The Sports Sedans were great and hopefully they stay as a regular with Group N and Group C/A

An idea i'd love to see, and it obviously needs the approval of the car owners and i've no idea how possible this idea is to implement, but i'd love to see a feature event, at say about 3pm on the Sunday afternoon. Something like a 40min race for Group C/A Heritage Touring Cars, where the car owners partner with another driver and we have a Goodwood style driver change after 20mins.

You could call it the "Bathurst Celebration Race" or something, have the pre-race grid extravaganza they trialled a few years back before this feature event etc.... Driver pairings could be along the lines of say David Towe with Tony Longhurst in the JPS M3, Terry Lawler & Steve Johnson in the Mustang, Ben Grice in the STP GpC Commodore etc etc.. you get the idea. (I'd suggest it with Group N cars, but i'm assuming the owners here would be less likely to run them for that long in one race)
The ARDC actually tried to organise this kind of Pro Am race for Heritage Touring Cars at the historic meeting in June but there was no interest from any of the co- drivers approached.As for the longer race for these cars it was actually run at the 2015 MCM although in the end shortened from 25 to 15 laps and even at that turned pretty processional.