View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2012, 09:52 (Ref:3022065)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the issue with Vale winning races was he was never a "run away" merchant.

Even Mick often got poor starts and fought through the field!

Vale would often play to the gallery and also play the waiting game with his opponents, especially Gibernau and Biaggi. He would often not show his hand fully and rocket away going much quicker than everyone else.

Casey just runs away, he doesnt play with opponents as Vale did, which though it was false at least made it entertaining!

Valentino is as rutless as any rider, but he does know and appreciate fun. Guys liek Mick, Dani, Casey and the like dont seem to have much fun racing motorbikes. They obviously do or they wouldnt do it much, but Vale has FUN, and is not afraid to show it.

It's why he left Honda, why he chose Yamaha over Ducati and why he still even now manages to receive such support.

As a fan I can appreciate both ways. I love watching Casey and I also love the fact that he shoots from the hip. He has a great sense of humour and I can warm to him.

Same as Mick, you had to admire his ruthless spirit, similar to Fogarty. Carl was so utterly over arrogant and OTT with it that you ended up feling a bit opposed to him, but since he stopped he has sort of explained his way, much like Mick, Lawson and Rainey have.

People warm to Vale coz he has a human touch, Lorenzo has it too in a way, but a lot of people cant forgive the way he was before he matured at Yamaha. Hence they dont warm to him.

Being Italian has nothing at all to do with it in any way!