View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2012, 17:55 (Ref:3165956)   #20
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
What is the exact spec of the car, with regard to engine/transmission/wheel type/colour/year?

The thing with Mk 2 Jags is that, because they're not that uncommon, people will tend to wait for a car with the right spec combination. If you don't have that, then it can make them difficult to sell. That's not to say you won't sell it - just that they have to be priced accordingly if they're not the most desireable spec.
Sorry Paul, wasn't ignoring you, just been away on holiday for a few days. Anyway, to answer your question, its a 1961 3.8 in gunmetal grey with red interior. Has wire wheels in body colour. Gearbox is a later 4synchro with electric overdrive. So, as far as I can tell it's pretty much the "one to have". Chrome wires would probably be better, although the later gearbox is usually considered a desirable upgrade from the none-synchro Moss box. Oh and it's got a motolita wood rim Mk2 wheel instead of the original bakelite thing but it's a matter of taste which is better on that one.

Ok, decision made. I'm going to take off all the non-standard things that have been added over the years and replace with period standard parts. I'll sell what comes off and hopefully that will be fairly neutral financially. I'm then going to give it a good mechanical going over to replace worn bushes, get rid of oil leaks, check bearings, set up suspension, tune nicely etc. etc. Then I'm going to deal with the main elements of body corrosion and the roof dent, but without a full bare metal jobbie, then give it a basic spray job.

With all that done and back on the road again, I'll put it up for sale again, but drive it round and enjoy it until the right buyer comes along at the right price.