View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3710514)   #12
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The DTM race at Norisring could potentially be a big deal. The track is unique, it's a street course and it has lots of tradition. They actually a marque event, the 200 miles race and/or (Not sure if they're the same) the so called "money race". Nowadays, the Norisring is just a regular run-of-the-mill DTM round and that's a wasted opportunity in my opinion. In my opinion, the DTM should turn the Norisring round into a 200 mile race and award the winner one or two million €. Maybe even help out the manufacturers a bit with regards to one-off entries and require them to hire international top drivers.* Now I know that DTM cars are very different to adapt to, especially for GT and touring car drivers. But the Norisring isn't really a difficult track for a driver (in my opinion), so I think with enough testing, the one-offs should be alright. And if everything fails, they could still bring over some open-wheel guys, perhaps even Formula One drivers. I mean, it'd do some headlines if Mick Schumacher for example was to take part in a DTM race .

*Interestingly, the DTM tried something like that in 2005, when they brought the likes of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell or Johnny Cecotto to partake in a legends race. Unfortunately, the idea went nowhere. They could do something similar with all former DTM champions for example. It'd be even better if they ran single-spec old DTM cars, but I guess it's rather hard to put 20+ M3s or 190e Evo IIs together.