Thread: Race US Grand Prix
View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3775054)   #17
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Working with a few Americans (as I do at the moment) - they all say that they would not refer to their national flag by the name 'Red, white and blue'. They would generally refer to 'the star-spangled banner', the 'stars and stripes' or possibly 'old glory'.

Red, white and blue is a common colour combination in use for flags around the world - and arranged as they are in the poster is specific to The Netherlands (or possible a draped French flag).

Are silly posts with silly jokes no longer permitted? Must have missed that change in forum rules.
Finally! As an American, I feel I am truly qualified as an expert on a topic!

To the flag part... "Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem. Sort of related to the flag, but in this context... nobody here would refer to the American flag as "Star-Spangled Banner". That would generate some odd looks. "Star and Stripes" would be the most common nickname. Some may use "Old Glory" as well, but technically that is in reference to a specific history example, and less commonly used as a general reference.

To the point in question which is the Red, White and Blue. In a typical Americentrism view, we only think of "Red, White and Blue" as "our" national colors and ignore the fact that other countries use the same colors as well. And this is clearly not a "American" issue. People of different nationalities see what they want or know. Such as what IMHO, is clearly "Red, White and Blue" American colors for the US GP as the Dutch flag! To be honest as I didn't know what the Dutch flag looked like, I initially didn't get the joke. If anything it seems that the color Orange is more iconic for me with respect to Max and the Dutch in general

Richard