View Single Post
Old 11 Nov 2017, 05:44 (Ref:3779877)   #19
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
An excellent film but whoever decided to insert the footage of Le Mans 1955 and the appalling segment showing poor Bandini's burnt body had very poor judgement. The stuff was not even relevant to Williams' story, was gratuitous, crass and unnecessary . Uninformed viewers get to find out just how dangerous the sport was from Courage's death in a Williams De Tomaso.

That apart- very good indeed . I read Virginia's book and ended up disliking both her and Frank . Although far from uncommon in the sport, boasting about jolly japes escaping creditors and ripping off punters does not endear them to me. That said , his drive and achievements are extraordinary and were well illustrated by the film .

Claire comes over superbly - smart, compassionate , businesslike and endearingly human - considering how dysfunctional her family appears to be ('No , I haven't read my wife's book ..'). But her brother..wow ..there's a whole case study of bitterness and family schism there . He did not strike me as being quite the sharpest tool in the box compared to his sister.