View Single Post
Old 30 Apr 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3637323)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So now that things have been running on the new server for a couple of days here's the reasons for the changes:

The old hardware was put in place back in 2013 and while it was kept up to date with all the latest software patches it was getting OLD.

Our secondary server, which was based on the same hardware started showing signs of wear and tear and had a hardware failure recently.

I took the decision that the time and effort involved in rebuilding on the repaired hardware would be better used on building a new hosting environment.

Everyone wants "faster" internet. The days of dial-up with modems are long gone. Back then a 56Kb/s connection was considered normal.
According to Ofcom, in the UK the average broadband speed in March 2016 is 28.9Mbps

It gets even worse in fibre enabled areas at home I have 240Mb broadband, and that's not the fastest package available around here. There are offerings of 360Mb and 400Mb around and I've been told that by the end of the year there will be 1Gb in the area.

For TenTenths this means we have to try to keep up with this in terms of both hosting provider and hardware provider.

I feel that the new environment that has been put in will keep us in good shape for now, we'll also have to invest pretty much the same again to have our preferred option of having a secondary stand-by server.

If anyone wants more details of exactly what was done from a geeky point of view then feel free to PM me