Thread: Movies Senna Movie
View Single Post
Old 9 Jun 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2894259)   #9
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw the film Tuesday evening. I undertand a few of the comments about editing and some of the in car footage and gears being out of synch.
Some great unseen footage, Ron Dennis showing video of 1981 Austrian GP where Villeneuve and Jones drive through an escape road without penalty and Senna's reaction to the Ratzenberger crash.

I loved it and found Prost running to the stewards office laughable in 1989, and him talking to another odious human being walking in, Nigel Roebuck. I know, I'm hardly likely to be unbiased about Prost but alot of this film covered that period of F1 as it happened.
I'd forgotten about the 1989 accident between them, and even that year they had ignored Senna's request to put pole position on the left hand side.
Being a Ferrari fan all my life, I remember well, Suzuka 1990, and I wanted Senna to win, I couldn't stand Prost at all. Retribution...

Quite clever of the director/ producer to include an interview with Prost detailing how he'd finish 5th rather than race for 2nd, 3rd or 4th if it meant winning the Championship. Then later, with Senna's famous comment to J Stewart, about if you don't go for a gap, you're no longer a racing driver.

They show an alliance between Balestre and Prost, and people have said it shows Prost in poor light, yet Prost worked his political magic when he arrived at Ferrari, Mansell hated him him after their time together, yet had been friends previously.
Even Williams in 1993, Prost had Renault stating before the championship started how great it would be to have the French driver win. It was obvious that Hill didn't stand a chance.
One scene I thought very unfair because it painted Prost the human being as a very shallow person, was his interview with Selina Scott, where he's flirting and being suggestive, the producers kept in her reply about "does his wife drive"

Saddest part... his sister speaking about the evening before the Imola race, he'd turned to the bible and asked "God" a question. His reply, he was going to give him the greatest gift possible... chills ran down my spine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardWon View Post
Sadly my copy of "Aryton Senna: The Hard Edge of Genius" was lost when we moved a while back -- in the mood to re-read that book.
Not sure if you're interested, I have this book in hardback and paperback, I was going to list the 1st edition on Ebay. Let me know.

Last edited by herowassenna; 9 Jun 2011 at 12:42.