View Single Post
Old 31 Oct 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2979846)   #50
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
British F3, though great, is not the be-all-and-end-all of Formula 3.

The level of drivers this year, as an example, was very poor. Look when "the shadow of its former self" turned up at Spa and its drivers jumped onto the Coopers and showed everyone up, Nasr and Magnussen except perhaps.

The reality of it is that the British series is probably third in terms of how sustainably strong it is.

Somebody from foreign climes was enquiring about buying a British F3 team about 12 months ago. Strange thing was they decided the series couldn't be that healthy as every single team seemed to be up for sale!
I was talking about numbers more than anything. The F3ES had some very good drivers, but when you only have 12 or 13 of them in total, that is simply not enough.

At least BF3 had 20 cars at all rounds as far as I remember. I agree that Nasr and Magnussen were the the genuine class of the field, but the others weren't that bad. There were 5 or 6 other race winners.

Spa had the biggest entry of the season, Zandvoort included. It was the sort of entry I would hope to see next season if the two series get together for the good events.

As for the results there I agree that the best of the Europeans blew the Brits off the track, but it was really all down to qualifying. It was a drying track but for some reason none of the Carlin runners tried slicks, which is why the Fortec guys came to the fore and Will Buller won the BF3 section of both main races.

Which FIA-spec series are better than BF3, then?