Thread: Classic Cars
View Single Post
Old 7 Mar 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1539573)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep I've always liked Enzo's take on the Marcos.

Quite rightly you can't really define a classic car. But in my case I have an MGB of 1965 vintage and a Mondeo of 1998 vintage plus the obligatory off roader Jeep Cherokee 60th Anniversary model (which is a classic in its own right).

So why would any of them be considered a classic?

The MG is easy. A marque which at that time had continuous history goiong back over 40 years. Parts bin it may have been but 500000 examples later it had a following. The design was advanced for a sportscar (ok use the term loosely) but it still has charm. I've recently installed a fast road engine and it is certainl a more interesting car to drive.

Then the Mondeo. This is the 2.0 Si version with sports supension, c/r gearbox and uprated brakes. The handling is better than any car of its era that I tried including Cavaliers and Vectras. So I'd call it a classic for that reason and because it broke the mould for mass produced vehicles at that time.

The Jeep? Its the end of the "box" shaped version. No more to be said, the character has gone now. And they don't make that straight 6 four litre engine anymore. That has serious grunt.

So three cars that in some way would qualify as classic to me.

(I've left the racing car out of this).