View Single Post
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3795231)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think Liberty are delusional if they think that hiding F1 behind a paywall (pay TV or streaming) will automatically mean that the majority of free viewers will then move to the pay to watch model. It simply won’t happen. It worked with football because the fanbase is super passionate and somewhat tribal in nature. Look at people spending £40-70 to watch a single match. You could argue its profiteering what the football clubs and Sky TV do (and I would agree), however it works (for the moment). I really don’t think F1 will have that same level of demand, perhaps I am underestimating the level of interest and desire to watch, but I just can’t see it myself.

It’s just not the same product that it was 10-20 years ago. I’ve found my interest waning, and I was the kind of viewer who would get up at every race weekend 2am, 3am to watch quali and then the race. My father doesn’t watch it any more and neither do any of my friends.

I also think that the sport could be hit by the current populist movement of anti-capitalism, anti-globalisation and anti-big business, all of which F1 normally thrives upon.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Italy with their TV viewership, although I don’t think the Italian situation is representative of the market as a whole due to their somewhat unique fan relationship with Ferrari.