Thread: DTM DTM 2016
View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3605651)   #29
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Honestly, would it be better if ITR close DTM for good a make an open-wheel racing series for those big 3 German manufacturers to groom their drivers.
I don't think a touring cars serie will ever become really popular with the general audience, imo a open wheel serie (a la Super formula/formula nippon) has a much bigger chance of becoming popular. So you might be onto something here.

A bit more radical idea from my side to increase viewership & 'popularity' would be to have the races during the evening. I don't know about you guys, but myself and my friends who have an interest in motorracing will not stay at home during saturday or sunday afternoon to watch DTM on the tv. However if it's on during the evening then i am likely to watch it. (This can also be seen with tv ratings for F1 GP's in canada or Brasil, the ratings for these gp's are generally a bit better in the Netherlands compared to others since it's starts on sundayevening).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBuru38
I've said it before. DTM is missing rounds in UK, France, Italy, Spain and Belgium, which are the 2nd-6th largest car sales markets in Europe. They should visit Spa-Francorchamps, Donington Park, Le Mans and Mugello, for example.
I would imagine that Belgium is quite similar to the Netherlands or Austria, so i don't think the OEM's would gain much by dropping one of these races for a race in Belgium.

Dropping Zandvoort, Austria and 1 of the 2 Hockenheimring races for races in the UK, France, Spain and italy would make sense imo. In addition, it should be fairly easy to get tv coverage on a network in these countries if the local branches commit some of their advertising budget to commercials during those broadcasts (Mercedes and BMW spend combined over GBP 50 million on advertising in the UK alone in 2013).