Thread: WEC 2017 WEC Season
View Single Post
Old 13 Mar 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3718449)   #295
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Even if Toyota aren't spending 100 million dollars, I'm betting that they're spending more than they'd want to. And I'm betting that it's still a significant portion of both Audi and Porsche budgets has been.

I'm not in favor of having teams risk having to spend over $100 million a season just to have a shot to win, but rapid development brings that about. That was the Pandora's box that the incentive for big hybrid systems, having three years to get there, and a prospective even higher jump after that brought about.

Not to mention that IMO, 2006-2013 I feel that LMP1 cars achieved a state of mechanical and technological perfection that any big jump in performance would be hugely expensive. It's kinda like infantry rifles today, being based on 60-70 year old designs just upgraded with modern sights and built quality. Any big jump from that will undoubtedly be expensive for the armed forces of the world. Same with the modern LMP1 prototype racer.