Old 28 Sep 2005, 08:26 (Ref:1418592)   #1
Radius
Rookie

South Africa
in London, England
Radius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 Team South Africa support

Hi all

As South African's who love motorsport and seeing out country men competing at the top level Brands Hatch was a brilliant event to attend and support our country.

Was at my 1st race meet ever and was so excited to see a South African team compete. So happy to see my national flag and support of Nelson Mandela (his prison number '46664' posted all around the circuit and on our team’s car.)

I sat directly opposite our teams pit garage and they were so meticulous and professional. I felt really proud!

Our car looked great and really stood out (NZ and GB cars as well ) The team, although working on the cars, gave up some of their time to chat to me during the pit walk and that was the highlight of my day. I then promised our driver, Stephen Simpson, that i'd be waving my flag at paddock hill bend every lap he took and duly did. He smiled and on both slow down laps after each race he remembered and acknowledged it with a thumbs up towards me.
Brilliant!!!!

I've been to two F1 events this year and that would never ever happen!!! The different nationalities and personalities really made it a world event. Met so many ppl from all over the globe and tons of South Africans (most of them queuing at the bar!) so happy to see a fellow citizen. In terms of emotion and socializing F1 and A1 are worlds apart! Good on ye A1!!!

Racing was excellent (despite not that much overtaking) and a high quality of skill was on display. Team SA had an unfortunate incident on lap 1 with Jos Verstappen and lost 2 laps but fought back well, lapping just 2 tenths slower per lap than the awesome Piquet! Race 2 showed our real talent with Stephen coming from 25th to finish 6th! WOW!

All in all a good day for our beloved SA and much much better things to come im sure.

Keep the passion!