View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 2017, 11:55 (Ref:3752124)   #7981
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Though published by Racer Magazine, it's written by RLM/DSC staff.

Also one thing that I think is kind of overlooked about the Audi Sport involvement is that was based heavily on bragging rights in my opinion. The quick change gearbox/modular design of the R8, first electronic DFI win, first diesel win, first hybrid win, beating Porsche and Toyota in '14. IMO, that was all bragging rights that will show up in the record books. There's not many new records for Audi to beat, and the same for Porsche. Both have little left to prove at LM.

Granted, Audi in the ALMS was based partly on marketing, and when they accomplished their goals there, they scaled back and pretty much left the series. Audi accomplished most of their goals in the WEC and LM, too. Would they have liked more success the last couple of years they were there, probably, but I place a lot of that on the ACO's IMO flawed EOT and ERS incentive, which is what's lead to the expenses jumping so much vs 2013 and earlier. Porsche even have had issues recently with the ACO, mostly over Toyota's aero rules interpretation.

But even on Porsche's end, they won LM 3 years in a row, won the last two WEC titles and seem poised to win this years. They really have nothing left to prove.

So why not do something else to stay involved in racing, save some money, and maybe get ready when the new rules go into effect? I'll bet you that's also possibly the mode that Audi Sport are in right now. Do something else until the ACO can come up with rules worth making a massive investment in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
He might be saying that we should wait for Porsche to issue a press release on what they'll be doing, but even that article if you ask me wasn't particularly encouraging, either.

The common thread in all the articles, no matter who's written them, when, or who their sources are, it boils down to one thing: Return on investment. That's the common denominator in all the Porsche LMP1 future articles, does Porsche see it as worth their while to continue? And this gets evaluated by all the players in racing, from the lowliest privateer to the mega-buck factory teams, usually once every season.

I'd bet that even in the best of times that Audi Sport did the same thing every season. And they said yes until last fall. Toyota are at least publicly saying yes right now to their program. But we have to wait for Porsche's domino to fall to see what the future of LMP1 will look like between now and 2020. And I think that Audi Sport was the first domino to fall, and they might not be the last.
So which one is it? In two posts separated by under an hour you've managed to complain it is ALL about bragging rights and how they could one-up everyone else. And now is ALL about return on investment?? I know you LOVE to hear yourself rant and whinge but could you stick with one consistent reason as to why you think you are so smart? It gets old fast hearing how you could fix everything with a system that FAILED miserably and brought in ONE consistent privateer entry and Pescarolo was often the what hour will the car fail entry, AKA Speedsource most of the time.