View Single Post
Old 14 Mar 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3041017)   #1697
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
But you mentioned having a few beers with friends on Sunday. If you didn't buy the beers, you would be some way towards the F1 subscription.
I think after the week I've had I deserve to spend 3 or 4 quid on a few of Carlings' from my local supermarket to drink on Sunday. I think that goes back to the point that I made earlier where I said I shouldn't be expected to alter my standard of living considerably to accomodate a sport I've never had to pay to view up until this point. I don't drink heavily and I don't go out on the lash every single month. I don't eat takeaways very often due to cost and I don't smoke. I had some bad news regarding my mortgage earlier this year and money is tight. My car broke down the other week and I suddenly had a 200 quid bill I wasn't expecting. My boiler broke down a couple of months back and its instances like this that really make me feel the pinch. There maybe months where I do have 30 quid to spare which would pay for a subscription but what about the months where I can't? Sky ask you to enter into a contract and if I loose my job again or my wife has time off work, it becomes a big problem. Not everyone earns over £18,000 a year and has had a yearly payrise since 2007. F1 is about the only interest I focus my time on and I would love to be able to follow it like the rest of you, but its no longer possible in the same capacity.

As has been said above its a pretty sorry state of affairs where every council house seems to have a satelite dish attached to it yet I work hard, have a University education and am a qualified engineer yet the industry I am in is struggling and no longer pays the type of money to compete with our benefits system (not saying everyone who lives in a council house is on benefits btw). If a Sky subscription was affordable for all I think it would be fantastic for the fans in the UK as they are offering such widespread content. Unfortunately its out of a lot of fans reach so its split opinions across our nation. Myself and a few mates are getting together on Sunday and bringing a few beers to watch the re-run on the BBC. I hope the 2 hours doesn't race by as a GP can often feel too short IMO. What we don't know is how many laps will be included in their 2 hour show. I'm hoping the BBC will make use of their website to share most of the interviews post race leaving at least 80 or 90 minutes of race coverage. I won't hold my breath though.