View Single Post
Old 9 Apr 2016, 16:36 (Ref:3631498)   #58
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a couple of new developments:

a fleet of about a dozen automated trucks just completed a run across Europe.

http://qz.com/656104/a-fleet-of-truc...across-europe/

there will be more and more of these exercises coming up soon but one thing i found interesting was this:

'But the convoys must first successfully navigate Europe’s bureaucracies. Bruijn’s next goal is to get everyone to sign off on a roadmap for the next five years. This would address the technical problems, such as the inability for trucks from different brands to platoon together (they all use different wifi systems).'

looks like competition and desire for each manufacturer to develop their own system will cause delays (more negotiation) to allow trucks from different makers to communicate with one another so effectively their ability to coexist on the same roadways together...i would assume this will also be an issue for their road car manu counterparts.

also a scary thought for those worried about employment...trucks that drive themselves and pick up cargo from automated shipping ports...

second article about some experts concerns about self driving cars.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-08-15-37-19

several of the issues have already been brought up in this thread but one which hasent is '-Self-driving cars can't take directions from a policeman.'

while this might not seem like a big issue i think a similar problem would exist for road workers or anytime a person is out there redirecting traffic.

its one thing to expect manus to develop software that can understand signs and road markings but to expect them to develop software that deals with understanding human behaviour and actions is entirely a bigger problem to solve and probably one outside their expertise.