View Single Post
Old 15 Jan 2004, 04:32 (Ref:838849)   #3
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27

Am currently investigating cages for my Alfa. Current thinking is not to bother with a cage until I can afford to go the whole hog and have a proper welded cro-moly cage installed.
Far better off in the long run,the other upside to a welded cage is that you don't get as bad damage in big accidents to the floor and rail area of the car,as the load spreads over the whole car.You may not even get the same load transfer at joints as a weled cage.Those clamps don't look to be rocket science stuff so maybe there are losses and gains a varius points ( some one with a better idea of 3D statics than me may know )This may effect the handeling of the car,just like bar placement does,by bolting you are somewhat limited in where and at what angle you can put bars and so thus you are not going to be attached at the exact point that the forces are acting.
The big plus for the bolt in is the removablility of it should the car be sold to make way for another of similiar model for instance.
If you are serious you weld and if you are doing it for fun and don't want to be stuck with a caged car at the end you bolt