View Single Post
Old 16 Jan 2004, 02:56 (Ref:839922)   #6
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welded cages are effectively just as removeable as bolted cages - just use an angle grinder instead of a spanner. Refitting to another car is not as easy though.

You'd probably get away with a bolted cage if you were just after a safety device, but for performance (ie stiff chassis), welded really is the go.

I know of some "cheap" bolt in cages that have been welded and extra bracing added to good effect. This may be the route that I take, depending on the quality of fit for the prefab bolted variety. There's not a lot of room inside a GTV and I can't afford to have an illfitting cage or I wouldn't fit in the bluddy thing (actually, given the cost of the cage, at the moment I can't afford ANY sort of cage ). Anybody want to sponsor a fast GTV in the Alfa Club Series?

I drove a GTV with a "proper" cage and effectively the same spec suspension as mine and it felt HEAPS better. It could carry much more corner speed and didn't move around under brakes as much (I guess my chassis is flexing more than I'd realised ). I'll have to rely on a horsepower advantage again this year and hope nobody has been to see the engine doctor for a dose of the good stuff