View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3045428)   #3002
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Bad enough that he'll probably miss Spa, and maybe LM or worse depending on how bad the injury is and the recuperation time.

NASCAR driver Jeff Burton sustained a similar (but worse) injury that could've left him paralyzed from the waist down if the bone spurs cut too far into his spinal cord. I'm surprised that Jeff is still driving today, let alone competitively, because with a back or neck injury, you screw that stuff up, it will come back and bite you later in life, and in general, the older that you are when it happens, the possibly more of an effect it can have and potentially sooner.

In that regard, I'm surprised that Tom is still racing, because he almost broke his neck in that DTM incident in '07, and it took him almost 2 years to fully recover from that and it may've shortened his career, which is why after '09 he focused on Sportscar racing.

And it's clear that Audi probably know a lot more than we do or that they've told us so far. I think that with them waiting to do testing--learning of the extent of Timo's injuries and reporting it to the public and trying to figure out exactly what happened in the incident--is also a bit telling that Audi are at least taking this somewhat seriously to say the least.