View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3238289)   #39
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thinking about this divide even more, I think both channels deliver the service in very different ways. Sky have a dedicated channel and I've noticed from their adverts that they promote the fact they are on air for a long period of time throughout the weekend. They generally have an hour and a half of build-up before the race which to me seems like a little too long IMO. I feel they struggle sometimes to fill it productively and tend to interview various people asking similar questions, but getting the same generic answers. At the same time they are obliged to offer lengthy coverage because it is a dedicated channel and viewers need a sense that they are getting value for money. Figures seem to suggest Sky experience a spike in viewers approximately 15 minutes before the race starts, but the option is there to watch longer of course.

I think one thing the BBC do which Sky struggle to match is the features pre race. The BBC are not just broadcasters but film makers and I think this level of quality shows with one piece production. Camera work, filters, and choice of music has always been something IMO the BBC have got right with their editing. Sky did a piece at the weekend where they travelled through Brackley, a place I know very well as I grew up a few miles away from, and ended up at Mercedes to demonstrate their simulator. It had a very BBC 'boys club' feel to it at first and reminded me a little of the DC, Jake, and EJ material we used to see. Almost Top Gear I suppose lol. I found Davidson's insight very interesting as I hadn't realised he worked for Mercedes on their sim. I thought it feel a little flat though when they decided to leave Herbert alone at the end and it didn't seem quite as funny as they perhaps intended it to be.

Just so its not all negative towards Sky I have to say I enjoy the SkyPad feature now I am used to it. Davidson provides clear analysis of incidents of interest and the different camera angles in one feature help explain things very clearly for the viewer. I liked how they used it to show Jenson his encounters with Checo after the race, to which he didn't seem overly impressed lol. The F1 show mid week before a race is also a nice way of giving F1 fans a taste of F1 in the run up to the weekend and remind fans of the news in video form. I don't feel they advertise that program enough though as it generally attracts very little attention.