View Single Post
Old 13 Mar 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3718385)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
I have friend who works for mclaren in the road car department (in the mclaren technology centre) and he says he has spoken to the race team guys. What they say, is that Honda could of matched the Mercedes but they would always be trying to catch up, but apprently Honda have gone outside the box to be faster (not match Mercedes engine wise) and this is Gavin all sorts of teething problems.

This is hear say from a good friend, but I don't k know the truth behind the story.
i feel as though that rings true with everything we have been reading about the situation.

and i suppose not altogether unprecedented either...Williams fell into this pattern in the 2000's as they fell from the top/struggled to find budgets equal to that of what the top manu teams of that period were spending, and found themselves looking for 'radical' or 'out side the box' solutions in the hopes that ingenuity would make up the difference.

the size zero concept and now the seemingly over ambitious engine redesign are akin to Williams Walrus nose...an attempt to throw a knock out punch while falling to the mat.

for my part, i cant say i have a problem with this approach given the financial advantage the top teams have nor am i sure what other choice they have.

they can resign themselves to the 'also ran' category or take a chance in the hopes that they can find their way back to the top...but then i love the underdog and Mclaren-Honda are certainly that now!