View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3754489)   #6
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mercedes decision adds credence to the thought that this is where the manufacturers see the future of all racing, not just F1. On the back of the UK government's announcement today that they'll ban the sale of all petrol and diesel cars by 2040, then the move to electric is inevitable, if you believe governments around the world are serious about banning fossil-fuel engines. However, I don't believe they will impose a ban. It's more about making the manufacturers try harder on the emissions. But what I still fail to understand about FE is why they have a single-seater vehicle. Let's face it. F1 evolved down the single-seater route over time. FE has the opportunity to ignore this entirely. What they should do, in my view, is make it a silhouette passenger car formula, open to any manufacturer who produces a hybrid or all-electric car that is genuinely on sale to the public. No big aero mods. Just recognisable versions of the road cars, re-created as a light shell over a single-seater chassis, but with a battery pack that will last a full race distance. The silent running (which is seen as a negative) will be overcome by the door-bashing nature of the racing. A bit like E-NASCAR or E-BTCC. That, on a city-centre street circuit, would be fantastic entertainment, and gives the manufacturers proper brand recognition. Who wouldn't want to own a Civic Type R-E, or a Mercedes 200 AMG-E on the back of this kind of exposure? That should be the future direction of Formula E, not some dreary, slow and processional silent version of F4, which is what we have at present.

Make mine an Nissan Leaf, just for the comedy value.......