View Single Post
Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3759548)   #33
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Rowland does have raw pace and we know he has some sensitivity to what the car underneath him is doing because he is often one of the best guys on cold tyres, a huge skill and example of confidence in itself which not many drivers have. Latifi who I failed to mention I think is pretty good and getting better doesn't seem to have that skill.

Bianchi is an excellent example of a top talent who was unable to get the job done in this series. We all knew he was good enough and his talent wasn't enough to get the job done. But we don't think any less of him. He did not have the right equipment or magic ingredient to get the tyres to last, it was nothing to do with his abilities as a driver, just as I believe is the same problem for Rowland.

Plus I do not see any drivers who took 3 or 4 years to win it as F1 quality talent. Maldonado I once thought was a firebrand but he proved he could not learn from his mistakes and that cost him his career. Being unbelievable on his day wasn't enough. Palmer? Valsecchi, Pantano?

I understand why people will take what they see happening and results as 'fact' but it does not tell the full story, far from it.
Apologies for the delayed response, I have been away for a while.

It certainly is nice to know how much more insightful your opinions are than mine though. I always thought that driver performance was the best barometer of talent, but now I must agree that there is something only a man of your superior talent-gauging abilities can see that mere plebeians such as I cannot comprehend, and thus your own perceptions and insights into the real goings on far outweigh the goings on themselves.